One might say that I am cruel to my books-- the way I read them, that is. My purist daughter must use a book mark-- NEVER would she dog ear the pages. I know there are others out there like this, and I am sorry for my evil book reading ways.
When I stop reading, I fold the page in half so I keep my place. I often read with a pencil so that I can annotate or underline-- even fiction. Lately I started to dog ear pages where I find a passage that I want to read again. And when I'm reading in the pool, the pages get warped from the water that often drips off my elbows and seeps into the books.
I guess you could say these books are well-loved? I dunno.I think my kid would say I am careless and do not respect my books.
I am finally finishing a book by a favorite playwright, Sarah Ruhl, where she writes about writer's block and it not being a thing. She calls WB an invention; a self-inflicted wound. A chimera.
Instead she calls it "the studious avoidance of writing."
She breaks this down into 12 different categories of avoidance-- and I wanted to touch on number 6 (my lucky number!):
"if I write what I like to write, a person I love will be angry with me, or their feelings will be hurt." Confessional memoirs, revenge plays, etc. She suggests a shift in intention-- from love rather than derision, which requires forgiveness, and forgiveness often requires writing.
Solid advice. Thanks for that. Hope you are well, friend.
Peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment