I hope you will take a listen to this song. The guitar sounds so simple I think I will pick up the old gitbox and strum along. Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots is a great album all the way through-- well except for Pink Robots Pt. 2 with so much screaming. I get it's a battle but Yikers! Here is another good one--
This morning I scrolled back to when this blog started-- 2004. Wow. I was a much better writer back then.
Or maybe I just had more to say. The year of the Big D. The big change. The turning point, honestly.
The hits just keep coming!
Yesterday I was lucky enough to get outside and really take in the change of season. You can see it in the sky and the trees, but the tell-tale sign is the smell. I am hoping to do a longish run today just to enjoy the subtle changes eveyrwhere.
On these days I speak to few and it is the usual polite Midwestern response you say at grocery stores or gyms. It's no wonder I have nothing to say. But I have been thinking about a book I read recently called The Correspondent. It is a series of letters to various people in Sybil Van Antwerp's orbit. She is a gifted Epistolarian, to be sure. Still, I was thinking how people just don't write letters anymore. What a shame that we rely on email and text (or telepathy!) to communicate these days. I cannot remember the last time I received an actual letter. Most likely it was a thank you note (and who even writes those anymore?) from my mom.
Back in college I wrote letters to all my friends because long distance calling was expensive and, well, that was before cell phones. Plus, I was painfully shy and hated to talk on the phone. Now kids don't even know how to address a letter-- or even where to put the stamp. There is something intimate about an actual handwritten letter that requires care and thought. It is a gift to receive one and says so much about the sender.
I sent a care package to my girl this weekend and she just got it. She was so excited to get an unexpected box of fun fall stuff from her mom. Well, it's what I do.
It's almost October. Hope things are well.
No comments:
Post a Comment