9/01/2026

"You Go to My Head" Chet Baker

This weekend's Glamping was a chill experience with time to sit by a campfire and listen to some jazz greats like Chet Baker.

I especially like this song not just for the liquor references but because I sang it as an audition piece long ago.

You go to my head/And you linger like a haunting refrain/And I find you spinning round in my brain/Like the bubbles in a glass of champagne.

I read about Chet in But Beautiful. Didn't realize he was such a womanizer. I guess you never can tell... I would have been a fool for Chet as well. What a tortured soul. Sigh. I loved how the book described his loathsome attitude toward conversations. I can relate.

It's a trip to read about an artist while listening to them play. But I've started to make a practice of it recently. I have been enjoying the last days of summer in solitude reading poolside. It seems to be the only time in my day I am not in perpetual motion or feel compelled to DO something.

And sometimes I just sit in silence--listening to the angry sound of migrant hummingbirds flitting above my head competing for food at the feeders or leaves falling and thinking of the final scene from The Great Gatsby when Jay Gatsby (in his striped suit) gets shot while floating on a raft in his pool music playing...

I hope you are well.

No comments: