6/13/2005

"We arouse pity by cultivating the most repulsive wounds"

There are many things that I love about summer:
Eating raw vegetables straight out of the garden.
Coming inside to air-condition on a hot day, reeking of suntan lotion and sweat- bathing suit still wet. The smell of rain on hot pavement. Cold beer on a hot night. (do I smell a theme here?)
As I write this, the fan is blowing on my bathing-suit-backed-body and I am eating sweet peas, onions and cucumbers. Tomorrow I am picking strawberries with my sisters--dear God, I hope we don't kill each other. Delightful.

I am within pages of the end of Bullshit Night in Suck City and am anxiously awaiting my copy of Stones of Summer to arrive today via Amazon.com. The movie Stone Reader, although slow in places, reminded me why I like to read.

I applied for a part time job today (thanks to my smarty pants boys for the references)--went to check the place out and ended up walking out with a dozen or more assorted cds:
The Strokes
3 Emmylou Harris cds
Johnny Cash
Gillian Welch
The Postal Service
Let it Be--Beatles
Brian Wilson's Smile
Fleetwood Mac Live in Boston
David Bowie's Heathen
Bjork's Medulla
Elvis Costello's North, The Delivery Man and All this useless beauty

Plus, my own copy of Neko Case's Furnace Room Lullaby that should keep me busy for at least a few days. I am headed to the station to meet her in person, I think she is playing a few or at least doing an interview. I have about 15 minutes to kill, so I wanted to tell this story:

I have but one true friend in town. His name is Jim. I refer to him as Crazy Jim, or Cancer Jim. He is an old homeless man--a scientist and in my mind a sociologist. I started talking to Jim at length about three years ago, when escaping the house was my favorite pasttime. We generally talk at the local hangouts--soma or the spoon.
Last Thanksgiving I volunteered at the soup kitchen, and in came my toothless friend, all smiles and sarcasm.

What I love about Jim is how he tangents. I also love that he speaks the truth about people. Yesterday we discussed the term
Mammon
at length. We frequently talk about love, living conditions and The Man. It's hard to get a word in edgewise, but when the exchange happens, it reminds me that it's so nice to have a non-judgmental friend to buy you a cup of coffee every now and then..
I guess it makes Bullshit Night that much more meaningful to me.

Too bad perfect strangers become the best friends and people you have known for years end up strangers? One of life's mysteries--or miracles. Who's to say? I should make a list of true friends.

I just decided to skip Neko (sorry) and instead wait to see STARS next Sunday at Bluebird. A hot new band worth of a listen. Hopefully not as expensive too.

'Night you.

1 comment:

Butik said...

I would want to bring condensed milk with me and ask some of your strawberries it is actually making my mouth water now