7/31/2004

family vacation

I am leaving for South Carolina Monday night. Family vacation. Hmmm--
That right there is an oxymoron. There is no such thing.
12 hours in the car, the air on too cold, crappy music, regimented plans, 90 degree weather in the shade, no privacy and limited drinking. Please don't force me to play golf with you dad, you have a -4 handicap. It is total humiliation. I hate to say it but it would be more of a vacation if they just took Lilly and gave me a week alone to relax.

These days run together like streams into rivers and rivers into bays and bays into oceans. I wonder if this is how old people feel--waiting to die, the little bird resting on my shoulder, "Tell me, little bird. Is today the day?"


OK--edit post.
Sunday 11:56 a.m.
I had to deacon last minute today at church. It's funny when you start to feel sorry for yourself God hits you square in the face with a lesson.

Guess what the texts were on:
Vanity, greed, and selfishness. So much for mysterious ways.
I got it. Thanks.

It was cool distributing communion today. I watched this man actually take the wine and do this cool thing to release his sin. I mean, I could tell that ws what he was doing. Purging.
I watched this other guy throughout the service. I was actually concerned he might pass out; he kept holding himself up on the chair in front of him.
He took the chalice from me and I saw his whole demeanor change. Weird.

So, better mood today. Gots to live my baptism not drown in it.





3 comments:

grey matters said...

it is happening again: that sinking feeling.
feel like i'll cross the street and they will be right in front of me.
i am slow to pick up on the obvious and some people are slow to get at the truth. we'd make a terrible combination.
wilco's "reservations" is in my head.

Wilco - Reservations Lyrics
How can I convince you it?s me I don?t like
And not be so indifferent to the look in your eyes
When I?ve always been distant
And I?ve always told lies for love

I?m bound by these choices so hard to make
I?m bound by the feeling so easy to fake
None of this is real enough to take me from you

Oh I?ve got reservations
About so many things
But not about you

I know this isn?t what you were wanting me to say
How can I get closer and be further away
From the truth that proves it?s beautiful to lie

I?ve got reservations
About so many things
But not about you
I?ve reservations
About so many things
But not about you
Not about you
Not about you
Not about you
Not about you

grey matters said...

also...
I am an american aquarium drinker
I assassin down the avenue
I?m running out in the big city blinking
What was I thinking when I let go of you?
Let?s forget about the tongue-tied lightning
Let?s undress just like cross-eyed strangers
This is not a joke so please stop smiling
What was I thinking when I said it didn?t hurt?
I want to glide through those brown eyes dreaming
Take from the inside, lady gold on tight
You so right when you said I been drinking
What was I thinking when we said goodnight?
I want to hold you in the bible-black pre-dawn
You?re quite a quiet domino, bury me not
Take off your bandaid because I don?t believe in touchdowns
What was I thinking when we said hello?
I always thought that if I held you tightly
You?d always love me like you did back then
Then I fell asleep & the city kept blinking
What was I thinking when I let you back in?
I am trying to break your heart
I am trying to break your heart
Used to be lying when I said it wasn?t easy
I am trying to break your heart
Disposable dixie cup drinking
I assassin down the avenue
I?m running out in the big city blinking
What was I thinking when I let go of you?

grey matters said...

I find it ever so frustrating when people get the wrong idea about who I am. I know I should care less, but it only brings to the surface how hard it is to express myself in a way that people can understand.
I have been drinking way too much--and so, in effect, have lost desire to do much of anything.
'sids, who gives a shit.

he still lingers in the back of my mind like wet toilet paper sticking to your hands after washing them in the sink. rub them together and they ball up and fall into tiny little insignificant pieces.

when does the sweet perfume of love rub off and the stench of loathing take its place? somewhere between two years and ten, I guess.
but the loathing, the apathy and anger replace all that is good, all that is tolerable, all that is love.
i don't even bother looking in the mirror for I hate who i see. i will bury myself and focus on my daughter for now.