11/15/2004

Rung dry

She wrapped her arms 'round my neck
and with an elvish look kissed me goodnight.

her warm body motionless, relaxed next to mine
my thumb pressed in the palm of her hand,
fingers exploring--assuring herself that I was still there.
where else would I want to be?

she gives me reason
to try harder and wait for a warmer season.

***
"No soliciting"
I think my neighbor is dead. I have never met him-her but
I am sure some night my silent room will be disturbed by the heavy footfalls of Coroner Toomey.

For several days I noted a trash bag loaded with garbage outside his apartment door. The first few days it didn't bother me--but the weekend passed and still it remained.
So I caved.
I made an extra trip out to the dumpster and tossed the bag over the side. We share a common floor--just the phantom neighbor and me--
Here's hoping he is alive and well. If not, I pray there was nothing noteworthy in that trash bag. Mr. Toomey will come a' knocking on my door asking me questions....looking for clues.



No comments: