4/22/2005

no peace until the weekend

I should not be posting right now.
I am exhausted and pissed off and the mind is going in so many directions that I have to carry a notepad constantly just in case I lose something important.

But last night I had a sleep over with my daughter. She was restless as I stroked her hair and sang softly to her; I observed the progression of her body surrendering to sleep, the twitching and changes in her breathing until she successfully passed over into dreamland. Her chubby hand was clinging on to my arm, mouth open with "bah-bah" resting on her bottom lip. I held her close, trying to remember what it felt like to be held by someone, taking in her scent and her beautiful form.
The windchime outside my window was banging against itself. Fearing it would wake my girl, I was tempted to shush it--or just tape the damn thing together for the night. My thoughts went back to work and the steep grade up ahead--that is next week and opening night. I have so far yet to go.

There is a line in the show that reads 'no peace unto the wicked'. I was making the picket signs in my room and held this particular sign up to my class. One student squinted from his seat and said, "no peace until the weekend?"
I laughed and said, "Actually, no peace until May 7."

Hope you can see what I have spent the last four months of my life doing.
And then maybe Decemberists on the 17th.

No comments: