9/20/2004

on a blue background...the cresent moon rises

her sad, lonely eyes
gaze up at the distant moon
she howls her love song
c
it is a beautiful evening tonight--
the sky is midnight blue,
and the moon is glowing, throwing shadows on everything below.
my first bit of solitude all day and I am too exhausted to enjoy it.

the smells outside my window remind me of falls past;
football games, woodsmoke and hayrides, bonfires and attraction, walks with boys, yo la tengo's crickets.
timing and fate...fleeting and always off.
is it too late, I wonder.

what my heart feels-- what my heart knows
the rush of love washing over
tear stained pages of verse
longing and resentment
fear of rejection

I'll go to bed alone
and make the same wish on the moon
hoping, this time
that it may come true.
time: 8:45pm

1 comment:

grey matters said...

john-- it sounds like the flee was an experience you will never forget. you words are beautiful and i like the simplicity of your page.