7/05/2005

candids, and the blog of fire

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Nice, huh? I think so. Stupid stuff from the dump-truck-and-police-force-brigade- parade here in Bloomington. Rumor has it Linton's was better--I mean, at least they had a band play. Sheesh. I wanted to take Lilly to see how she would respond.
My favorite comment came from a man in one of the colour photos. At one point (there were several) in the parade, people would emerge from their police cars, wagons, trucks, etc. and pass out hard candy to the crowd. The Republicans came through and this guy said to his grandkids, "Don't accept candy from Republicans--you don't know where it's been."
Classic.

This was my first holiday in the states since my daughter's birth. Usually I am out of country. Last summer Japan, two years ago it was the U.K., Prior to that, Germany and central Europe.

Lilly and I were home before 8p.m. after the Contra gathering and the best organically grown food in Bloomington, I closed the windows and doors so tightly that not even a firecracker could break the sound barrier. It was just another quiet night for us.

So if you ask me what I did for 4th of July? I'll say, " Was it the 4th? I must have missed it again." Or, "Sorry I am not practicing holidays of any kind this year. Too emotional." That usually shuts people up good and quick. Stupid thoughtless mid-western fuckers.

***

It always feels good to clean house on occasion. I did so tonight with my contact list. I like purging. It feels a lot like what I assume salvation must be. Joy and pain.

Someone put out their cigarette butt in my door knocker the other night. I am not sure what to think about that, but every morning I check the car for fresh key marks. I wonder how you can become someone's enemy without ever knowing them. Must be how the Iraq's feel about us...whose to say?

Going to bed uneasy. Tomorrow I find a new coffee shop to hang out....I can't deal with 22 yr old drama queens any more.
Funny what a young girl in a tightly fitted dress and her long brown tresses up in a messy bun can do to a man. (And this is the part where you remind me that all men are the same, but if I had on a tight dress 'he' would respond exactly the same way...well, perhaps if I were ten years younger and wearing a long, brunette wig...)

2 comments:

Butik said...

I like picture no. 6 the most! She is such a darling, reminds me of Marilyn Monroe.

This 4th of July was my first ever, it doesn't seem to be about indenpendence at all at least not here in Sacramento. It was bbq, a lot eating and drinking and firecrackers and people leaving too much garbage at the river bank...very sad-that is one think Japanese kids would never do no matter how stupid they act.

You have a very interesting point about my dreams. All of what is happening here in America with me is sort of a rebirth anyways let us just cross our fingers for that.

grey matters said...

thanks butik,
I think she is pretty cute myself.

Being in Japan over the 4th last year gave me a new perspective on how to be proud of your country and heritage. We are definitely lacking that here. I was sad when I came home--dealing with ineffeciency and rudeness. I was ashamed to call myself American. But not everyone is like that.

I understand feeling bored--as a teacher who is off summers it is difficult fo rme to make the transition from working 40-60 hours to not working at all. I have tried reading, more photography, hiking, gardening and cooking. Also writing--but still, it is hard. Hopefully you will get your card soon and work will be waiting.

I am sure most of the dreams are dealing with transition--having a child-working--a new place, etc. etc.
I hope things start to feel more comfortable soon!