6/19/2005

"Abstain from Fornication"

read the cheap road sign outside a church near my apartment. I'll bet they had to look up fornication. I laugh every morning when I drive by to see what the new warning is. Makes me want to turn around and pull in the driveway, HELL YEAH!

Another billboard in town has a picture of an American soldier and his kids that reads, "Glad You are home Brett. Serving GOD and his country."
Stuff like that give Christians a bad name. Let's rub it in everyone's face a little more. Now that makes me want to run out and join the troops AND the church immediately.
*****

Pat pat pat pat, the steady sound of footfalls on cinder. It's quiet. I focus on breathing-filling the stomach full and deep. As I breathe, the sweet smell of pine blows past. Pat pat pat pat, breathe.
It's Sunday morning and all is glorious. Just me and the cinder. I love the rhythmic sound and the timing. After awhile muscle memory takes over and I drift off in my mind to different places.

I snap on the swim cap and create a suction with my ears. The goggles are always too tight, but it's a sacrifice to see clearly under the water. I love the harsh smell of chlorine on the skin and in the nostrils long after.
The first solo push from the wall underwater is refreshing. Silent. Calm.
Breathe out. A long glide underthe water, I smile, happy that I understand the technique and that I no longer have to think about it. I come up for air, the water gliding off my cap and hairless body, I resubmerge and feel the great power in my legs in the release. Soon the black arrow serves a gentle reminder of the end of the pool--I breathe once more and go into the flip turn, something that took years to master. Now with the long stretch of water before me, I am in my element.

1 comment:

Butik said...

I wanted to learn how to swim properly maybe someday